Welcome to Nellie Photography's Blog! I'm Janelle, creator and owner of Nellie Photography. Our studio is based in Sacramento, California. We shoot Pin-ups & boudoir, weddings, engagements, families, children, portraits, the occasional pet, and other random subjects. I created this blog as a personal journal for my professional work, personal imagery, studio news, promotions, and other fabuluous randomness.

If your reading, please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. I love to hear from everyone. It makes me feel special :). I usually post entries a couple times a week, so be sure to keep coming back for the latest updates. You can add my blog to your "favorites" or subscribe by entering your email in the subscribe box located in the right-hand column.

To book a shoot, you can contact me directly at:
info@nelliephotography.com

Enjoy!

XOXO,

Janelle

What I'm doing right now...

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, August 1, 2008

    The Day My Hair Turned to Ash...

    ...it crumbled between my fingers, and I got teary-eyed.

    Let's start at the beginning. I needed a new flat-iron for my hair. So, I went to Salley's Beauty Supply and asked the saleswoman for her suggestions on the latest products. I decided to go with the new "Titanium" flat-iron. I thought, "Wowweee, titanium. Now this must have some top-of-the-line straightening power!" Boy was I wrong.

    I excitedly turned that sucker on and waited a few seconds for it to heat up. Mind you, I had only set the heat dial on "medium". I grabbed a small back section of my hair, and ran the flat-iron down my frizzy mane. Hmmm, nothing.

    In fact, the so-called floating plates (with no gap) actually had a gap, and the iron wasn't even grasping onto my hair. (see, the box even advertises the "no gap"):
    So, seeing that my hair wasn't straightened at all, I ran the iron down the same section again. And that's when I noticed the sticky, black tar looking substance plastered on my new flat-iron. After a brief inspection, followed by the familiar smell of burnt hair, I figured out that my hair had actually melted onto the iron plates. I panicked. I ran my fingers through what was left of my hair section, and the strands of hair just crumbled in my hands like ash. I stood there in disbelief.

    After about 30 minutes, and a few phone calls to friends, I calmed myself down by looking on the bright side: At least it was only the back portion of my hair, and it can easily be hidden. But man, every time I look at my little nub hair patch, I get a brief irritated twinge.

    By the way, I've been flat-ironing my hair since high school, and I've gone through my share of flat-irons, but I have never burned my hair off before.

    I unplugged that little devil right away, and once it cooled down, I tried to scrape off my melted hair. Not too successful. I stuffed the iron back into its box and took it right back to Salley's Beauty Supply. I ended up just buying the same good-old, familiar flat-iron model I had before.

    So ladies, take this as a warning: Don't try the Titanium Tools! They get waaay to hot! And the plates are deceiving because you don't think they're touching your hair, but in reality, they're frying your hair to a crisp!



    2 comments:

    CHI hair straightener said...

    Useful information and a nice blog too.
    Will share the information with my friends also.

    thanks
    hair care

    Janelle said...

    Why thank you!!! By the way: I love CHI! It's the best so far in my book.

    smooches,
    Janelle