Welcome to Nellie Photography's Blog! I'm Janelle, creator and owner of Nellie Photography. Our studio is based in Sacramento, California. We shoot Pin-ups & boudoir, weddings, engagements, families, children, portraits, the occasional pet, and other random subjects. I created this blog as a personal journal for my professional work, personal imagery, studio news, promotions, and other fabuluous randomness.

If your reading, please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. I love to hear from everyone. It makes me feel special :). I usually post entries a couple times a week, so be sure to keep coming back for the latest updates. You can add my blog to your "favorites" or subscribe by entering your email in the subscribe box located in the right-hand column.

To book a shoot, you can contact me directly at:
info@nelliephotography.com

Enjoy!

XOXO,

Janelle

What I'm doing right now...

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, February 13, 2009

    Cake + Baby + Tux = One heck of a Babycakes Session

    You may have seen this little guy before. He made his hilarious debut during his mom, Jessica's Pin-up & Boudoir Session which you can see here.

    What is a Babycakes Session? Well, you bring your baby. We make the silly, colorful cake (which is usually lop-sided). We put the 2 together, and WA-LA! We have a wonderfully messy portrait session--Perfect for documenting baby's first birthday! You can see another example of our Babycakes Session here.

    Usually, we put the baby in it's diaper for this session, but Jessica had the great idea to put him in a tux. And what a great idea it was!

    Photo #1: "The 9 Ways to Say It Collage". This collage features a fun series of action images from the shoot. It's our most popular product for this particular session and we recommend it as a Wall Size Print (at least 24x24 size, but looks best in 30x30 size). We carry a sample of the 30x30 "9 Ways to Say It Collage" in the studio. So if you come in for a session, you can check it out for yourself.

    Did you notice the side-part in his hair? Another one of Jessica's hilarious ideas!!!

    Photo #2: "Dapper Dan". Move out of the way ladies! He's mine once he turns 18!!
    This photo comes from another one of Jessica's great ideas (What a fabulous collaboration we make!). She wanted the photos to be sort of black and white, but with just a little colorization. In the above photo, you can really see the brand-new, vintage "Norman Rockwell Effect" I am beginning to play around with.
    Norman Rockwell is a famous painter/illustrator. If you've been to Hometown Buffet (whoop, whoop!), you've seen Norman Rockwell's painting hanging on their walls. He is known for painting "Middle America".

    Here's a side-by-side comparison of Norman Rockwell's paintings with my photo and the "Norman Rockwell Effect" added (...I think it's pretty gosh-darn exciting):

    Photo #3: "Just Breathe Through the Mouth".This is what happens when you dive nose first into a cake--You get nostrils full of frosting! The poor thing can't breath out of his nose and he is just beginning to realize that this has become a serious matter. I can't stop myself from cracking up!!!!


    Photo #4: "All that Remains". After he was done, his mom came over and literally cut off his tux (yes, with scissors). Talk about easy clean up. Now that's a smart lady!

    Be sure to vote for your favorite photo so that this little guy can receive his free 8x10 print. The winning photo needs only 15 votes! Post your vote by clicking on the "Comments" link below.

    By the way, the blue set featured here is also available for those of you who are interested in doing a more realistic, plain colored background Pin-up styled set--cuz you know how the original pin-ups were always drawn on a solid colored background...

    5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    my vote is for number 2

    Anonymous said...

    I love number 1 for the mere pleasure of seeing that cake get demolished. I think every kid had their day like that. But number 2...wow what a cutie. Great Job Janelle.

    Anonymous said...

    #2 really is super cute. However, who can't identify with this little man's situation in #3? More cake or air? It's really a hard choice to make and you captured the moment beautifully! I have to vote for #3!

    Saimese said...

    #3!

    TASH! said...

    #1 is my fav.......9 ways to say it collage is sooooooo CUTE! His suit is so gorgeous! His suit fits to the T! luv it! He is soooooo adorable! he inspired me to take my boys pics!