Welcome to Nellie Photography's Blog! I'm Janelle, creator and owner of Nellie Photography. Our studio is based in Sacramento, California. We shoot Pin-ups & boudoir, weddings, engagements, families, children, portraits, the occasional pet, and other random subjects. I created this blog as a personal journal for my professional work, personal imagery, studio news, promotions, and other fabuluous randomness.

If your reading, please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. I love to hear from everyone. It makes me feel special :). I usually post entries a couple times a week, so be sure to keep coming back for the latest updates. You can add my blog to your "favorites" or subscribe by entering your email in the subscribe box located in the right-hand column.

To book a shoot, you can contact me directly at:
info@nelliephotography.com

Enjoy!

XOXO,

Janelle

What I'm doing right now...

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, July 18, 2009

    Giving Back: Jillian's Backpack Drive

    I tried to Google an image of a kid carrying a backpack, but instead Google guided me to this weird, slightly disturbing photo that I can't figure out...



    But anyways, let's get serious for a moment:


    I know that times are tough right now, and it seems that with every month, times are only getting tougher. With the end of summer approaching, parents are once again faced with the task of back-to-school shopping. The painful truth is that this time around, back-to-school shopping will be harder on the pockets, especially since our area schools don't have the funds to provide some of the basic supplies. For this reason, Nellie Photography will be donating to Jillian's Backpack Drive.

    I also chose to donate to Jillian's Backpack Drive because I was impressed by Jillian--a young girl interested in finding ways to help others in her community. (You've gotta check out the website! She's a sweetie! http://www.jilliansbackpackdrive.com/) I also personally know Jillian's mom and dad. In fact, I've posted them on the blog before because they own a fabulous DJ business, D3 Productions DJ Services (http://www.djd3productions.com/). What a talented and giving family.

    I encourage you to donate as well...if not to this particular organization, then to someone or something else. Now's the time when we really need each other's help. Here's the letter I received asking for my participation:

    We are excited to announce that Jillian's 4th Annual Backpack Drive has been launched! As many of you know, each summer we collect backpacks and school supplies for 6 weeks. We then fill each backpack with a complete set up supplies and donate those backpacks to local non-profits that provide services to children in need.

    In 2008 we also connected with families in need directly. After spreading the word about Jillian's Backpack Drive on KSFM 102.5, we had several families contact us and express a need for backpacks for their children. We met with and provided backpacks to 11 children whose families are working hard to survive in these difficult economic times.

    Jillian and I are blessed that we get to meet many of the kids that receive the backpacks and they are so appreciative and grateful. We always let them know that our backpack drive would not be possible without the generosity of so many people in the community.

    We recognize that with the downfall in the economy, fluctuating gas prices, and the subsequent increases in most of the things we need to live, funds are tight for everyone. We hope that you will continue to keep Jillian's Backpack Drive in mind when you are school supply shopping. YOU can help us continue our mission to help make the first day of school special, one backpack at a time.

    Visit our web site at www.jilliansbackpackdrive.com for a list of items to donate. Remember, there is no such thing as a donation that is too small...every little bit helps!

    Please pass this email along to your network of family and friends. We need all the help we can get in spreading the word about Jillian's Backpack Drive.

    Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day!

    Janeen and Jillian
    916.479.2484



    You must be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

    No comments: