Welcome to Nellie Photography's Blog! I'm Janelle, creator and owner of Nellie Photography. Our studio is based in Sacramento, California. We shoot Pin-ups & boudoir, weddings, engagements, families, children, portraits, the occasional pet, and other random subjects. I created this blog as a personal journal for my professional work, personal imagery, studio news, promotions, and other fabuluous randomness.

If your reading, please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. I love to hear from everyone. It makes me feel special :). I usually post entries a couple times a week, so be sure to keep coming back for the latest updates. You can add my blog to your "favorites" or subscribe by entering your email in the subscribe box located in the right-hand column.

To book a shoot, you can contact me directly at:
info@nelliephotography.com

Enjoy!

XOXO,

Janelle

What I'm doing right now...

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, October 28, 2009

    A Thought on Breast Cancer Awareness

    I don't usually watch So You Think You Can Dance, but on this particular night, I was just browsing around looking for something interesting. I arrived on this performance at the most perfect time.

    This is a dance routine created by choreographer, Tyce Diorio, as a tribute to breast cancer fighters--and I have to warn you, it's incredibly emotional and touching. I've never been so deeply affected by a dance routine before.

    Please watch all 7 minutes of this video...and a grab a tissue.



    As the judges in the video mentioned, I too find it brave and honorable that the choreographer was able to express such a painful subject so beautifully. Especially since I still find it hard to tell others about my dad without tearing up. It's been 2 years and I still haven't been able to tell you guys about my most life-changing event. Someday soon I will.

    During this Breast Cancer Awareness month, I've seemed to be bombarded by those that have been affected and involved in the cause--One of my clients notified me she was participating in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk and asked for my sponsorship. And just this past weekend, I did a shoot with a new client who revealed that she participated in the Walk in honor of her mother who lost her battle with cancer. She also works in a breast cancer screening facility.

    What has all of this "awareness" revealed to me? That everyone in some way has been touched by cancer. It's everywhere. You know someone who has had cancer more so than you know someone who will have had swine flu. And sadly, in my family, it's how many of us meet our demise. Secretly, I feel that one day I too will enter the battle against cancer.

    So for these reasons, I have become involved. I have never participated in the Breast Cancer Walk, but as of this year, I have become a donater. Not just to breast cancer, but to all cancer because liver, lung, and breast cancer have personally effected my family.

    If you would like to make a donation to the American Cancer Society, click the link below. It's very easy. Even $5 helps.

    http://www.cancer.org/docroot/DON/don_0.asp

    No comments: